Discussions

This discussion is now closed.

Discussion Timeline

DISCUSSION TIMELINE

4 comments29comments8 comments7 comments0 comments2 comments64 as of today

Discuss Urban and the SDGs

• 1 Which are the challenges for reaching these goals and targets in your community (city, state, country) ?
  • 2 Which are the opportunities for the implementation of these goals and targets in you community (city, state, country) ?

Urban Related SDGS

CONTRIBUTIONS FROM AROUND THE WORLD

Masroor Ahmad's picture

Masroor Ahmad replied:

Dear Faiz

...Read more
Mohammad Faiz Alam's picture

Mohammad Faiz Alam replied:

Dear Masroor,

That is very encouraging to read, specially that progress would be reported on a platfrom which I think can motivate and push governments to improve and put data out. Definitely,  I would be interested to know more details. May be you can mention it here or give some links so that other contributors can also read it when they join the discussion forum.

Thanks

Faiz

EDUARDO PRADO's picture

EDUARDO PRADO said:

Na minha comunidade em Sorocaba SP Brasil o desafio está sendo o processo gradual de conscientização e empoderamento civil em relação à uma grande área verde pública com nascentes e córregos, e que se encontrava abandonada e bem poluída.

...Read more
Vanessa Constansa Setragni Becker's picture

Vanessa Constan... replied:

Olá Eduardo, que bom ler você.

Minha dedicação é a recuperação e revitalização de rios e proteção de nascentes. Gostaria muito de conhecer detalhes do teu projeto, para replicar. É mesmo muito gratificante quando começamos a ver os resulatdos, principalmente quando a população abraça o que é deles! 

Obrigada

Constansa Becker

Alex Nunes de Oliveira's picture

Alex Nunes de O... said:

Olá!

...Read more

Thanks Alex for your detailed comment.

You touched upong couple of topics which I agree are essnetial to achieve SDG targets.

Without finance, it would be difficult to achieve any of the targets. Question is from where and how ? Also, how to convince financing SDGs is an investment that would repay and not a cost.

Also, land use to check pollution is must. Do you have any experience from your region where land use has been taken into consideration for planning ?

Thanks 

Faiz

Alex Nunes de O... replied:

Olá Mohammad!

...Read more

Hi Alex,

Unfortunate to read it that despite so much evidence, we stil lack integrated planning. I guess one of the reasons is that still activites/plans are being taken by institutions that work in their silos only.

Faiz

Alex Nunes de O... replied:

Olá Mohammad Faiz

...Read more
Masroor Ahmad's picture

Masroor Ahmad said:

Hi Every one and its good to be connected again thru the discussion room

...Read more

Thanks Masroor for your comment.

I agree on the views above but have a question: Is technology going to be of any use if don't have strong institutions and governance systems implementing it?

In my experience, I have see that though technology exists or implemented but due to inefficient capapcity of local institutions, it generally doesn't lead to desired results.

Do you have any such experience or case study in Pakistan ? What you think are the ways we can improve the capacity of instituionals systems ?

Faiz

Masroor Ahmad's picture

Masroor Ahmad replied:

Dear Faiz

You are spot on as technology is not rocket science but its implementation and its used in (informed) decision making is challenge.

Use of technology or in-fact integration of technology is now mainstreamed by many government departments. I invite you to visit PITB website https://www.pitb.gov.pk/ to know how PITB and other similar institutions in provinces are plugging the institutional gaps.

Regards

Masroor

Madiha Asif's picture

Madiha Asif replied:

Dear Mr. Faiz,

I will support Mr.Mansoor comment. Technology is very important . It ease our work and save our resources. Yes, Mr.Mansorr, PITB is working a lot and we are giving support many government departments including local government of Punjab through technology. I am also part of PITB and now many departments are trying to build their capacity in its usage.

Madiha,Pakistan  

Mohammad Faiz Alam said:

Hello Everyone,

...Read more