This discussion is now closed.
Discussion 2 Timeline
6 comments1 comments3 comments1 comments
The need for investment to guarantee water security poses challenges on good governance and political stability. In-depth debate is necessary to improve financing of innovative, water-friendly technology, and of measures to cope with uncertainty related to water. Specific action requires strong capacities and good governance structures and mechanisms, as well as the ability to share experiences, practices and knowledge. Any action should consider long-term sustainability.
The 8th World Water Forum will host focused discussions on these cross-cutting subjects – capacity, governance, sharing and sustainability – in order to identify the main hindrances and actions required to overcome difficulties that are common to the 6 core themes (climate, people, development, urban, ecosystems and financing).
- How can education and capacity building for water be enhanced to achieve better financing of water?
- In relation to financial resources, what opportunities do new technologies offer for the improvement of water monitoring? What about for information communication technology (ICT) and decision/policy making?
- How do international cooperation initiatives enhance water capacity development in search of adequate financial resources?
CONTRIBUTIONS FROM AROUND THE WORLD
- How do you, or could you, contribute to designing and implementing integrated water resources management (IWRM) policies or projects considering Finance aspects?
- How do you foster transboundary co-operation in Finance?
- How do you ensure multi-level governance, engage stakeholders and assess the results of policies in Finance?
- How to better share solutions and good practices for the implementation of water related SDGs considering finance aspects? Who must be involved?
- How to involve all in water management and governance aspects related to finance: public, private, civil society - women and men - young and old - in bottom up and top down approaches?
- How to ensure respect for cultural diversity, justice and equity in the water sector, while sharing science and traditional knowledge, from the water and finance perspective?
- How can Water and Finance help mainstream sustainability issues related to water to the center of decision-making and strategy definition by governments and business?
- How can Water and Finance help improving society resilience to water issues, giving that water availability is reducing in most countries and the consumption is increasing?
- Water issues are regional, hard to be solved individually by local governments or companies. How can Water and Finance stimulate collaborative actions that will lead to a sustainable use of water resources?